Thursday, May 11, 2006

burn on you, squeegie man!

today, driving home from yoga (to which i consciously only brought my license, €15 and a towel, so i wouldn't have to worry about bringing too much stuff to class, and leaving stuff in my car) there was a squeegie man.

now, until a few year's ago, i wasn't really bothered by the squeegies. i guess i was indifferent, they didn't enrage me, and i didn't have a real soft spot for them... blah blah blah... my policy for the last few years is that i don't give street people money, i give them food... sometimes homemade, sometimes i'll just go into the mcdonald's whose trash they're rooting through, so that for one meal they get to eat not out of the garbage. it's my policy, good or bad... i'll go out of my way to make sure you eat something, but i'm not giving you money. this was not always the case.

one day in kingston, back when i used to give squeegie kids money if they insisted on washing the windshield, i seriously had no money. i mean, it happens. no spare change in the ash tray for parking, no cash in my wallet. nothing. on the corner of princess and division, i believe, i was stopped at the squeegie lights. *panic* the guy raised his squeegie, and i was like, no no no! i really don't have any money! i have no change! he gave me the finger. it pissed me off... i wasn't trying to be mean or anything, i was saving him from washing my window for free.

today... no money... i was like, oh god, not this again! so, i'm trying to yell at yer man: i have no money, i don't have my wallet, the people on the other side of the street heard me, but not the guy in front of my car. i said it repeatedly. i don't have any money. so when he was done, because what, he thought i was lying or something? he came over to the window and i'm like, dude, i told you, i have no money. i just went to a yoga class (then thinking: he has to believe this. look at me, look at what i'm wearing. now thinking: i'm so dumb, i should have almost run him over like the car in front of me). he's like: 50¢? i told you: i don't have *any* money. and he was mad at me. luckily the light changed then.

so:

dearest squeegie man,

i told you i didn't have any money, and guess what? i didn't.

burn on you.

best wishes,
ursula

p.s. my clean windshield says, 'hi'.

No comments: