Sunday, March 13, 2005

goodbye patty

today, as i was headed to hope to say goodbye to one of my mom's best friends, i got a call from my sister. i was too late. she had just died. it was with mixed feelings that i got the call. i am afraid to see dead bodies, i know this now... so i was definitely nervous about making it through the visit. but considering that there is not a time that i can remember not knowing her, i was going to suck it up. i would have felt horrible about my selfishness otherwise. in any case, the decision was out of my hands.

so, to patty, i say goodbye now.

i don't know who was the bad influence to the other, my mom or patty, but between them, there was always bingo or cards or some game going on. and when carol (my mom's very best friend) entered the picture, there was plenty more where that came from! the three of them together-oy! i hope that when i'm 60 i have such good friends to keep me in line and share the dirtiest jokes with! my mom and patty would walk into their events (cribbage, bingo, euchre) like rock stars... hello everyone!!! always causing a disruption, and always with smiles for everyone. after my dad died, patty became more like family, she was a fixture at our house for special events, and she always had a present for each of us under the tree. patty was a dear friend to my mom, and for that kindness alone, she will be remembered and have a special spot in our hearts.

since my mom probably already knows where every bingo hall in the afterlife is located, i'm sure patty'll get the deluxe tour. pick some good cards, ladies. peace be with you.

No comments: