Sunday, June 17, 2007

nutter butter

last week was a bit of a nutter. we had gerry's friends from the band 'mike got spiked' staying here for a couple nights, had a barbeque monday, i started my new job, and i got sick. yeah, a nutter!

the barbeque went well, and the guests were nice. we had lots of food, lots of conversation, and since shant and elaine came over to entertain me and enjoy the food, i got to chat with my ladies too!

the band played in cork on tuesday night, but it was too late for gerry and me 1. i was sick at this point and 2. gerry has to get up at 6am for work, and i have to get up shortly after that. heard it was a good show, and they might head down again at the end of the month.

my new job is going well. it's moving a bit slower than my abilities, but everyone is so busy, and there isn't really enough of a focus on training because the big picture isn't being looked at. i've started working on my own, but the guy who's the sort of team lead for northern europe is soooo passive aggressive, that i think it's become an issue (in only one week). so i think if i need to talk to him. i will give some examples:

i wrote an email to a distributor and instead of the not-really-supervisor-but-sort-of-taking-a-lead-position-dude just saying: oh, you should change this, this and this to something else, he chose to say: oh. ehm. okay. no. that's...fine. so i was like, listen, you just have to tell me what you want changed, and i'll do it. more back and forth of this and eventually he said, oh, well, it's just i would have done it differently. so i'm like: just tell me. every one has a different method, and i won't know how you want me to do something unless you tell me. so he finally said: well, i would have not put 'Thanks!' i would have put 'Thanks,' so (this continues the not focusing on the big picture) i changed it and asked what else i should change. repeat the whole process again, add in: well, you've worked in the nordics before, you would probably know better than me, but i wouldn't put my name down again, because you already have it in your signature.

i couldn't resist, partially because i was so sick, and i couldn't believe he was picking at this, like, no wonder there is such a backlog! and i said, well, this is the email, that's the signature file. but he was having none of it.

*so annoying* anyway, if it happens again, i'm going to be even more direct and say that the best way to approach me is directly, and to simply tell me what should be different, and to not beat around the bush. and that, all of that being said, we should probably either have one standard created by him that we all use, or we should not focus on insignificants.

the good news?

•i think that once i don't need my work checked, so in another day or so, i won't even have to deal with these kind of things from him. i will be able to work more independantly. and if it's not working out, i will move to renewals, because they need people there too.
•everyone's really nice there, and i now sit across from sylvia. so, overall, things are good.

No comments: