Friday, January 18, 2008

step on a crack

it's now been three years since my mom passed away, and whether i like it or not it's still a difficult time of year. to add to the emotional roller coaster that has been today, i got a text from my oldest sister, annemarie. she told me there's an emergency and that i had to pick up my phone (i'd been in the toilet so i was unavailable for a bit).

eventually i got a hold of her and she told me the store heidi works at was robbed and that her neck was broken. i tried to find out how serious it was, and if she could walk and stuff. annemarie told me she couldn't and that she didn't know what hospital she was in or anything other than she'd told me.

finally, after calling the hospitals in abbotsford and vancouver, and having been told by the abbotsford hospital that she's not there, i got in touch with heidi who was in emergency (in abbotsford) but stable; able to walk, but yes, with a broken neck.

so, panic over and shaking stopped, gerry and i decided that we would keep our thursday flight to vancouver from london, and just check on the situation in the meantime.

luckily the real news isn't as bad as the first news, if that makes sense. so although a broken neck isn't a great situation, and in no way is good news, it is a lot better than what it could have been.